Ecclestone no longer in contention to save Nurburgring
17 February, 2014
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is no longer a serious candidate to buy the legendary Nurburgring.
The Formula 1 Chief Executive revealed last month that he had made a bid for the fabled German Grand Prix venue, amid its financial problems.
“We want to make sure there is a Formula 1 race in Germany every year in the future,” said Ecclestone at the time.
The 83-year-old Briton said at the time that there are “one or two other interested parties”. The Rhein newspaper now claims that they are entities from Dusseldorf and the US, and a private equity firm.
Correspondent Dietmar Bruck said that the parties all have until Monday to submit their final proposals, with Ecclestone apparently no longer in the running.
Meanwhile, Britain’s Guardian newspaper claims that newly-retired former Mercedes boss Ross Brawn was approached to take over from Ecclestone, should the Formula 1 chief executive lose his job amid the corruption affair.
The Guardian added that Formula 1 owners CVC refused to comment. Correspondent Richard Williams said that the approach to Brawn had been “unsuccessful”. (GMM)
Subbed by AJN.