Gutierrez soon to be confirmed by Sauber
19 December, 2013
On Friday, 19 December, Sauber F1 Team is expected to confirm Esteban Gutierrez to partner Adrian Sutil in the team for 2014.
Gutierrez told TotalRace earlier this month, “For me, the priority has to be Sauber. I think it is important in Formula 1 to have continuity, but it is always good to leave all the doors open.”
The Mexican will thus start a second season with the Hinwil based team, after finishing the 2013 Formula 1 season as the highest scoring rookie.
Gutierrez’s first season in F1 did not get off to a great start as he struggled to adapt at the highest level of the sport, particularly when compared to highly rated teammate Nico Hulkenberg.
Early on in the year Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said, “The car’s performance very much affects the performance of the drivers, so we are not jumping to conclusions. We have to give him a chance to prove himself, but it’s also important to bring home results that have an impact on our finances and our future.”
The second half of the season was far better for the youngster from Monterrey – finished seventh at the Japanese Grand Prix. Evidently he has done enough to be given another shot at the top.
With Sutil already confirmed by Sauber, and the Gutierrez announcement due, it appears that there is no race seat for 18-year-old Russian Sergey Sirotkin who came into the picture in July when the Swiss team courted investment from a Russian consortium, promising much but in the end delivering very little.
Nevertheless Sirotkin is expected to remain with the squad in a reserve test driver role. (GP247)
Subbed by AJN.