Force India confirms multi-year deal for Perez to partner Hulkenberg in 2014
12 December, 2013
Mexican Sergio Perez will race for Force India next season, the British-based Formula 1 team announced on Thursday.
Perez joins the Vijay Mallya-run outfit after being replaced at under-performing McLaren by Danish rookie Kevin Magnussen, 21.
The 23-year-old will team up with Germany’s Nico Hulkenberg, who competed for Swiss-based Sauber this year, in an all-new lineup that leaves Britain’s Paul di Resta and Germany’s Adrian Sutil seeking new employers.
“He brings a healthy mix of youth and experience, and I’ve been very impressed with his recent performances,” Mallya said of Perez in a statement.
“He already has several podium finishes to his name, and being chosen by McLaren last year was a clear indication that he is a driver to watch for the future. We also recognise Sergio’s incredible talent and we are proud to have him in our team. He clearly has great speed and plenty of fire in his belly.”
Sutil is expected to move to Sauber while Di Resta’s best bet could be the IndyCar series in America, where his cousin Dario Franchitti has just retired after winning the Indy 500 three times.
Mercedes-powered Force India finished sixth overall in the constructors’ standings this year.
“Coming here was always my first choice and I’m really happy everything has now been confirmed,” Perez said.
“This is a young team with a lot of determination and they’ve produced competitive cars for the last few years. It’s all change for next season with the new regulations, but I already have a good feeling about 2014.” (Reuters)
Subbed by AJN.