McLaren and Force India opt out of Pirelli test in Bahrain next week
10 December, 2013
McLaren and Force India have turned down an opportunity to attend the Pirelli test scheduled for 17-19 December in Bahrain, where the Italian tyre manufacturer is set to test prototype 2014 tyres.
A McLaren spokesperson explained, “We’re not testing in Bahrain next week. We took part in a Pirelli tyre test in Italy last month. Our focus now is on our 2014 car development”
When contacted with regards to the driver line-up for the test, the Force India spokesperson said, “Given the short notice of this test taking place and the time frames involved in delivering a car, the team will not be attending the test.”
On Monday the FIA released the following statement, “The F1 Commission agreed to a change to the 2013 Sporting Regulations, on safety grounds, allowing the Formula 1 tyre supplier to carry out a three-day test in Bahrain from 17-19 December, 2013.”
“All Formula 1 teams have been invited to take part in the test and six have accepted: Red Bull Racing, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Force India and Toro Rosso.”
Mercedes, appear to be attending but, have yet to announce their driver line-up for the test at Sakhir, the spokesperson said “our drivers are not confirmed yet” but should be by the end of the week.
Neither Red Bull or Toro Rosso have responded to requests for driver line-ups expected to be on duty in Bahrain. (GP247)
Subbed by AJN.