Ecclestone confirms no New Jersey, India or Mexico races
4 December, 2013
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed reports that New Jersey will not be on next year’s World Championship calendar, with India and Mexico also dropped from the 2014 schedule.
Asked about recent reports which said that the scheduled race amid the Manhattan skyline would have to be delayed for a second consecutive year, the Formula 1 chief executive said a week ago: “We will not have Mexico and India next year.”
But Ecclestone, 83, has now told the Wall Street Journal that the New Jersey street race is off again.
He said the postponement, likely to be confirmed with the FIA’s publication of the official 2014 calendar on Wednesday, is “for lots and lots and lots of reasons”.
“We are not satisfied [that] it’s going to happen in time,” said Ecclestone. “What we’re aiming for is 2015.”
The newspaper said that race promoter Leo Hindery did not return a call seeking comment, while the Bloomberg news agency quoted a spokesman as saying that the organisers will comment after the publication of the calendar.
Korea could also fall off the schedule as race organisers are struggling to get the finance in place to run the race again.
This then, is the provisional 2014 Formula 1 World Championship calendar:
- March 16 – Australia (Melbourne)
- March 30 – Malaysia (Sepang)
- April 6 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
- April 20 – China (Shanghai)
- *April 27 – Korea (Mokpo)
- May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
- May 25 – Monaco (Monte Carlo)
- June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
- June 22 – Austria (Spielberg)
- July 6 – GB (Silverstone)
- July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
- July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
- Aug. 24 – Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
- Sept. 7 – Italy (Monza)
- Sept. 21 – Singapore (City street race)
- Oct 5 – Russia (Sochi)
- Oct. 12 – Japan (Suzuka)
- Oct 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
- Nov 9 – United States (Austin)
- Nov 30 – Brazil (Sao Paulo)
Subbed by AJN.