Ferrari: Kubica comeback to Formula 1 will not happen
23 October, 2013
Ferrari has cast doubt on Robert Kubica ever returning from injury to Formula 1 after recognising that they had been interested in signing the Pole to race alongside Fernando Alonso.
Kubica suffered a near-fatal rally crash before the start of the 2011 season and said only last April that he would “pay all the money I have to be back in the cockpit of a Formula 1 car”.
A race winner with BMW-Sauber, and a contender with Renault, the Pole has raced a specially-modified Citroen in the world rally championship and has also been in the Mercedes Formula 1 simulator.
However, he has struggled to regain the necessary movement in his wrist, after his forearm was partially severed in the accident, for single-seater racing.
“Yes, we were keeping an eye on him,” Ferrari principal Stefano Domenicali told the team website (www.ferrari.com) on Wednesday, ahead of this weekend’s Indian Grand Prix.
“Unfortunately, I don’t think he will be back, because with his physical problem, he would struggle in certain limited situations which require reactivity. It’s a shame.” (Reuters)
Subbed by AJN.