Ferrari adamant there will be no driver announcement at Monza
30 August, 2013
Ferrari on Friday confirmed reports that it is not ready to announce its full driver lineup for the 2014 Formula 1 Championship season.
We reported earlier that, despite historic Monza often setting the scene for such an announcement, the Italian team is “not ready yet” amid Formula 1′s more chaotic than usual silly season.
“I know it’s hard for people to believe,” team boss Stefano Domenicali told Brazil’s O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, “but we haven’t really stopped yet to think about it.”
“Do you know why?” he asked correspondent Livio Oricchio rhetorically, referring to the undecided identity of Fernando Alonso’s teammate next year.
“Because we have no hurry.”
It has even been claimed that Alonso’s ‘number 1′ seat might be in doubt, but realistically, the real contenders to replace Brazilian Massa are Nico Hulkenberg, Kimi Raikkonen or perhaps even Jules Bianchi or at a stretch Jenson Button.
Referring to the supposed custom of announcing the next driver lineup at Monza, Ferrari’s online ‘Horse Whisperer’ columnist on Friday said that, actually, it’s “a non-starter”.
“When it comes to those bird fanciers and their obsession with tweeting, they can calm themselves, because there are no announcements on the horizon,” he said. ”Why? Because no decisions have yet been taken.”
The piece also refuted the idea that Ferrari has a tradition of announcing it’s new drivers during the Italian GP weekend.
“All one needs to do is look at the facts: from 1991, when the Maranello press office first began to put its official pronouncements down on paper, until now, only twice, in 2006 and 2008, has the team’s home grand prix provided the backdrop to an announcement regarding the drivers.”
“Furthermore, as happens in the best families, important decisions are taken together at the right moment and not because a certain date on the calendar has been reached,” the Ferrari columnist added. (GMM)
Subbed by AJN.