Ricciardo: I still haven’t gotten the phone call, it so it’s still a bit up for grabs
22 August, 2013
Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo said on Thursday that his switch from Toro Rosso to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull was “not a done deal” and that anything could still happen.
“The phone call, I haven’t still got,” he told the BBC. “So [it's] still a bit up for grabs. I can assure you I haven’t heard anything from the people next door.”
He said that in his own eyes the seat alongside world champion Sebastian Vettel remained up for grabs in 2014 when fellow-Australian Mark Webber leaves Formula 1 to go sportscar racing.
Ricciardo became favourite for the slot when talks between Red Bull and Kimi Raikkonen ended earlier this week.
Red Bull team chief Christian Horner had already ruled out Ricciardo’s Toro Rosso teammate, Jean-Eric Vergne.
“I’m not going to assume anything. For me there is still a seat up for grabs,” said Ricciardo.
“Obviously there is a bit of excitement around, but there is nothing further to say from what I knew in Budapest. I think I’ve learned that until something is signed, sealed and delivered nothing is ever concrete.
“There’s still my teammate Jean-Eric, who as far as I’m concerned isn’t out of the picture, and a lot of other drivers on the grid with pretty good credentials.
“Until something comes from [Red Bull], I’m not going to start celebrating or getting my hopes up.”
The 24 year old Australian said that he would relish going up against Vettel the triple world champion.
“It’s not an easy task but even though he has won three straight it’s not been easy for him, I’ll prepare and make sure I’m in the best position possible to make it all happen in a successful way,” said Ricciardo. (AFP-Apex)
Subbed by AJN.