Barcelona Practice 3: Massa quickest from Raikkonen
11 May, 2013
Former Ferrari teammates Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen hogged the top two spots on the timing sheets at the end of the third free practice session of the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona.
It was the current Ferrari driver, Massa who was fastest with a time of 1:21.901 around Circuit de Catalunya, which was a mere 0.006 up on Raikkonen’s best.
Mark Webber was third quickest in the Red Bull, with Romain Grsojean fourth best and suggesting that Lotus have found a fine vein of pace for the opening weekend of the F1 season in Europe.
Championship leader, and winner in Bahrain last time out, Sebastian Vettel was fifth fastest in the Red Bull, ahead of Fernando Alonso in the Ferrari.
For the first time this weekend Paul di Resta was quicker than teammate Adrian Sutil, with the pair ending the one hour session, seventh and eighth respectively – faster than both the works Mercedes, of which Lewis Hamilton was fastest with the ninth best time.
Jean Eric Vergne showed that his form in the Toro Rosso on day one was no fluke by going tenth best. The Frenchman was a second up on teammate Daniel Ricciardo who could only manage 18th on the time sheets.
It is hard to recall when last McLaren were not in the top ten in any of the three free practice sessions during the course of a grand prix weekend. In Barcelona it appears that their much publicised upgrade package is not going to lift them out of the slump they find themselves in. The Woking squad dumped the new wing upgrade brought to Barcelona.
In the session Jenson Button was 12th and Sergio Perez 14th.
Williams, who won in Spain last year with Pastor Maldonado, have also not made much progress up the timing sheets despite a raft of upgrades to their FW35. Maldonado was 15th and Valterri Bottas 17th.
Spanish Grand Prix, Free Practice 3 – Saturday, 11 May 2013
|3||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:22.044||0.143||17|
|5||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:22.229||0.328||17|
|7||14||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:22.574||0.673||11|
|8||15||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1:22.729||0.828||17|
|22||21||Giedo van der Garde||Caterham-Renault||1:25.250||3.349||18|
- Valencia chief blames Catalunya for end of F1 dream
- Name tweak for Formula 1 track in Barcelona
- Venue for 2014 Spanish GP not certain says Ecclestone
- Barcelona and Valencia on collision course over 2014 race
- Valencia surprised that Barcelona is selling 2014 tickets
- Perez radio call to save tyres not a team order say McLaren
- Alonso: This year Ferrari have the best chance to win the title
- Mercedes boss calls on team to think out the box to solve race pace mystery
- Alonso: It’s very special winning at home
- Raikkonen: It’s disappointing to finish second