Button: The MP4-28 is very good and we will be strong in Melbourne
27 February, 2013
Jenson Button enters his 14th year as a Formula 1 driver, and could well be one of the preseason favourites for the 2013 Formula 1 world championship title. He spoke about his training programme and the forthcoming season ahead of the third and final week of testing in Barcelona.
How has the training been going over the winter break?
Jenson Button: “The winter break was great. I had the whole of December off to relax – I was in Hawaii, so sun, sea and sand! It was really nice to relax and to get some proper winter training in before the craziness of the season starts. But it’s also nice to get back into the season.”
And how have the test sessions been developing out in Spain?
JB: “Testing’s going well, it’s always tricky at the start of the season because you’re trying to guess what other people are doing. We always say that we don’t care what other people are doing, we concentrate on ourselves – which is true – but you still want to know where other people are. In terms of the car itself – the MP4-28 – it’s very good. We have had a few issues which have set us back a little bit, but I feel that the car in Melbourne will be strong. But it’s just really doing enough laps in it before Melbourne that’s really the key to feeling confident before we wheel the car out of the garage on Friday practice.”
What’s the general feeling about the season opener in Australia and the start of the 2013 season?
JB: “Melbourne is the perfect place to have the opening Grand Prix of the season. The Australian fans really love Formula 1 and it’s also beautiful city – it’s based in Albert Park. It’s a race I really enjoy and it’s the start of the season so everyone’s really excited. You get to the end of the year and the engineers have been working flat out and they’re quite tired. But for the first race everyone’s got a smile on their face, it’s very special. And it’s been very good to me over the years, I’ve won three times over the last four years, so looking to make that a fourth time.”
- Magnussen expecting to learn from great teammate Button
- Whitmarsh still keen to sign Alonso but manager claims reports are fiction
- Hometown hero Button burns rubber down Frome main street
- Brawn to head up Honda F1 engine supply project…or return to Ferrari?
- Whitmarsh: Red Bull spend the most in Formula 1, everyone knows that they do
- Button: We are definitely title contenders next year, but It’s not going to be easy
- Button: McLaren not in permanent downward spiral
- McLaren doctor Aki Hintsa retires from F1
- McLaren: That was our best grand prix of the year to end a difficult and disappointing year
- Button and Perez save face for McLaren in Brazil at the end of a torrid year