Early days but Lotus E21 already emerging as the pick of the bunch
7 February, 2013
So good was the Lotus E21 on Wednesday that Romain Grosjean went faster even than Jenson Button’s impressive Tuesday time, as the Enstone built car looks to be the pick of the bunch at Jerez after the first couple of days of Formula 1 preseason testing.
“It’s just a little better everywhere,” said Grosjean, referring to the new black and gold E21, after his two day stint in the cockpit. He did 149 laps, with only a delay on the first morning caused by ballast redeployment and KERS battery change.
At the end of the first day Grosjean said, ”The feeling is good from the E21. It feels very similar to the E20 from behind the wheel, even if it does look different from the outside.”
Trackside at Jerez, was technical expert and broadcaster Gary Anderson who was impressed with what he saw of the Lotus.
“You can see that the steering wheel and the front tyres are working together very well,” he is quoted by Speed Week. “We’re going to get a better idea at the next test in Barcelona, but a good car is good everywhere.”
Also musing Grosjean’s pace, Sauber driver Nico Hulkenberg admitted to Auto Motor und Sport: “That’s very quick.”
At the end of the first day in Spain the team’s technical boss, James Allison reflected ominously, “We’ve been chugging around with a fair amount of petrol on board and the E21 seems fairly swift.”
But added, “That said, it’s very early days and we won’t know how quick everyone is until we’re all in the same trim and going hell for leather.” (Apex & GMM)
- Footage of Grosjean losing his cool in Lotus garage
- Lotus: We’ve ended our pre-season test programme with a lot of unknowns
- Lotus: Certainly we are behind schedule
- Lotus: Unfortunately our new specification exhaust system failed
- Lotus: We’re still very early on in our understanding of this car
- Lotus: Unfortunately we had a number of gearbox related problems
- Lotus: We fell way short of what we want to achieve
- Lotus: Obviously that wasn’t the day we wanted to have
- Grosjean: I think it will be important to put some mileage on the car
- Lotus E22 makes public debut in Bahrain with Grosjean at the wheel