Early days but Lotus E21 already emerging as the pick of the bunch
7 February, 2013
So good was the Lotus E21 on Wednesday that Romain Grosjean went faster even than Jenson Button’s impressive Tuesday time, as the Enstone built car looks to be the pick of the bunch at Jerez after the first couple of days of Formula 1 preseason testing.
“It’s just a little better everywhere,” said Grosjean, referring to the new black and gold E21, after his two day stint in the cockpit. He did 149 laps, with only a delay on the first morning caused by ballast redeployment and KERS battery change.
At the end of the first day Grosjean said, ”The feeling is good from the E21. It feels very similar to the E20 from behind the wheel, even if it does look different from the outside.”
Trackside at Jerez, was technical expert and broadcaster Gary Anderson who was impressed with what he saw of the Lotus.
“You can see that the steering wheel and the front tyres are working together very well,” he is quoted by Speed Week. “We’re going to get a better idea at the next test in Barcelona, but a good car is good everywhere.”
Also musing Grosjean’s pace, Sauber driver Nico Hulkenberg admitted to Auto Motor und Sport: “That’s very quick.”
At the end of the first day in Spain the team’s technical boss, James Allison reflected ominously, “We’ve been chugging around with a fair amount of petrol on board and the E21 seems fairly swift.”
But added, “That said, it’s very early days and we won’t know how quick everyone is until we’re all in the same trim and going hell for leather.” (Apex & GMM)
- Prost: A very productive and worthwhile test for the team
- Valsecchi: Today was the highlight of my season
- Prost: It was a very positive day
- Raikkonen and Webber withdrawn from test due to restrictions
- Raikkonen on duty for Lotus at Young Driver Test
- Valsecchi spent a day being Kimi Raikkonen
- Lotus: We debuted a new rear suspension variation
- Lotus: Our lap time was very far from what we’d expect
- Allison: Every team on the grid is shameless in copying developments…
- Raikkonen: While they fixed the car I had a sleep