Button: This year’s car is the best we’ve ever made
31 January, 2013
This season Jenson Button will contest his 14th year as an F1 driver, and his fourth as a McLaren driver, where he has taken over the mantle of the team’s senior driver. On the occasion of the launch of the team’s MP4-28 he spoke the 2013 F1 World Championship which he predicts will be a strong one for his team.
“I’m going into my fourth season as a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver and, more than ever, I know and understand the strengths and abilities of this team. This year is really about continuity and consolidation.
“Obviously, the biggest change for 2013 is my new team-mate, Checo. It’s always interesting and inspiring to begin working with a new face, and it already feels like a very positive working relationship.
“I know from personal experience that it can feel initially daunting when you walk into the McLaren Technology Centre for the very first time, but I also remember how quickly I was made to feel at home and how welcoming I found the whole McLaren family. I’m sure Checo already feels very much at ease here.
“We were extremely strong throughout the whole of the 2012 season, but, for one reason or another, we couldn’t quite pull it all together to challenge for the championships. That’s something we want to address for 2013. I’ve seen just how closely everybody has been working together on this car, and I think we’ve got the basis for a very strong season.
“We’ll be working extremely hard during the pre-season to ensure we go to the first race with bulletproof reliability. Operationally, too, I think we’ve learned and developed from last year, and that will help us run a much smoother and stronger campaign.
“I also want to say that today’s demonstration of some classic McLarens makes me feel incredibly proud to be a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver. I don’t think anybody with a love for motorsport could fail to be moved by sound and fury of the cars we saw here today – they’ll always make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
“This year’s car is the best we’ve ever made – I know the engineers have left absolutely no stone unturned in wringing every ounce of performance from every available area. I cannot wait to get behind the wheel and attempt to carry forward the incredible legacy that lives beneath the skin of every single man and woman who works at McLaren.”
Subbed by AJN.
- Boullier: I will feel proud arriving in Melbourne wearing McLaren team kit
- Magnussen: It’s crazy to even think about racing in Melbourne
- Button: The Australian GP is going to be a fascinating sporting contest
- Australian Grand Prix: McLaren preview Melbourne
- Dennis sheds some light on Boullier’s role at McLaren
- 2014 F1 Preview: Rookie trio Magnussen, Ericsson and Kvyat join the elite
- Dennis: Hamilton could well be attracted back to us when we are competitive again
- Dennis: No title sponsor for Melbourne, but one expected at the next few races
- Dennis: In many ways there are similarities between Ayrton and Jenson
- Whitmarsh’s future with McLaren remains unclear