Frijns disappointed with 2013 Sauber F1 role

29 January, 2013

Robin Frijns (NDL) Sauber. Formula One Young Drivers Test, Day One, Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE, Tuesday 6 November 2012.

Robin Frijns

Highly rated Robin Frijns has admitted that he is disappointed with his schedule for 2013, after being informed that he will not be required by Sauber for the forthcoming F1 pre-season test.

The new Formula Renault 3.5 champion, 21-year-old Frijns was signed up for this year by the Swiss team Sauber, replacing 2012 reserve Esteban Gutierrez.

Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn said late last year: “We will now carefully guide him to Formula One.”

But the Dutch magazine Formule1 reports that Frijns was disappointed ten days ago when Sauber called to inform the young Dutchman that his services will not be required for the forthcoming winter test period.

“I think [that] this year I will not have much to do,” he is quoted.

“On January 30 I am going to the factory and I hope I will get more clarity,” added Frijns.

“It’s not only the winter tests I will not be doing, it also looks unlikely I will be used during the Friday practice sessions,” he lamented.

Frijns continued: “And Sauber has no simulator so I can’t gain experience in that way.”

Moreover, Frijns revealed he had “heard nothing” from Mercedes following his DTM test late last year.

“I have few other possibilities,” he said. “I fear it is going to be a difficult year.”

A Sauber spokesman commented: “Robin will get the opportunity to be present at the technical meetings, to engage with the engineers, and participate in our fitness programmes.

“It will provide a good basis for the future.”

Subbed by AJN.


  • Juraj

    Well, if I had a team with 2 new drivers, i wouldn’t let my reserve driver drive in the pre season test either .. I’d rather let my new drivers get familiar with the car rather than let it to a driver who WON’T be racing ..

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone