F1 dream over as Valencia street circuit crumbles

24 January, 2013

Girls at the Red Bull Pool Party. Formula One World Championship, Rd 8, European Grand Prix, Race, Valencia, Spain, Sunday 26 June 2011.Valencia’s Formula One foray as host to the European Grand Prix is apparently over, with a Spanish newspaper reporting that the once glamourous street circuit is now falling into serious ruin and disrepair.

The chances that the former harbour-side venue will return to the calendar in the future therefore seem slim, as Marca newspaper has published images that suggest that the facility is no longer even subject to a minimum of maintainance.

Thieves have stripped the circuit infrastructure of any valuable items like electronic control boxes, while an access tunnel is completely flooded by standing water.

“A bridge that cost two million euros is now used only by vagrants,” read the report.

The pit boxes have been “ransacked”, manholes stripped of their covers, and wires pulled out of light posts.

The last grand prix at the Valencia street circuit was held in July 2012, and won by Spain’s Fernando Alonso.

“Now, far from the glamour, the neighbours complain that there is no supervision and that thieves have taken everything of any value,” said Marca. (GMM)

Subbed by AJN.


  • Mopar21277

    Makes no sense that a nation in terrible financial shape should have gov’t funding for two grand prixs. Plus this was the worst track on the calendar, good riddance.

    Bring the European GP to a proper racing circuit like Imola or Magny Cours.

  • njellis

    Great shame.

    And the circuit wasn’t as bad as many have said. Last year’s race was really exciting.

  • Erik

    Agree with Mopar21277. Classic circuits are abandoned as fans of F1′s storied history are treated with contempt.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone