Alonso would be champion in 2012 Sauber claims Piquet
22 November, 2012
Piquet, who was Alonso’s teammate at Renault in 2008 and 2009, thinks that the 2012 Ferrari has been outclassed by the likes of Lotus and Sauber this season.
“The Ferrari is worse than those two, but sometimes a miracle is done because of Alonso.
“I think if he was in a Sauber or Lotus he would be world champion easily,” the Brazilian, who switched to NASCAR after the 2009 ‘crashgate’ scandal, told Jovem Pan radio.
“I see [Lotus and Sauber] in the front sometimes, but there is always the question: is it the car or the driver?” added Piquet, now 27.
The Brazilian looks back at his F1 career with some sadness, but insisted: “Alonso was not guilty of anything. It was great to have a teammate of his level.
“Before, when I was testing with Fisichella and Kovalainen, I could go at the same pace, but when I started to be with Alonso, I was suddenly half a second slower.
“Alonso made me work like crazy to find that there was more in me.”
Of F1′s next generation after him, Piquet said: “The two at Force India look good, and those at Toro Rosso seem better than Buemi and Alguersuari.”
Commenting on some others on today’s grid, he continued: “Maldonado has always been fast but makes many mistakes.
“Perez has done a few good races, but we don’t know if that’s just because of the car. I think Button will be better than him at McLaren.”
Subbed by AJN.
- Did Ferrari block Hulkenberg from driving for Lotus in USA and Brazil?
- Sauber confirms use of Ferrari V6 turbo engine in 2014
- Ferrari: Hulkenberg was one of the candidates that we thought hard about
- New engine deal for Sauber to be announced at Monza
- Hulkenberg: I would feel ready and I do feel ready for Ferrari
- Perez believes Ferrari was keen to do 2014 deal
- Alonso: I’m sure Michael would have won three races this year for Sauber
- Massa staying put, Hulkenberg to Sauber?
- Silly season latest: Massa stays at Ferrari, Hulkenberg to Sauber
- Kovalainen tight lipped about Ferrari and Sauber rumours