Being first of the losers means $10-million extra for McLaren
21 November, 2012
Nov.21 (GMM) McLaren’s battle for the 2012 Formula One Drivers’ and Constructors’ crowns is over, but Jenson Button said that the Woking based team, whose ‘supremo’ Ron Dennis once famously reiterated the phraze, “second is just first of the losers”, is nonetheless determined to be runner-up.
Red Bull has now secured the constructors’ title for this year, but McLaren is just 14 points behind Ferrari for second place, with just this weekend’s Brazilian showdown left to run.
Britain’s Sun newspaper said the difference between second and third is almost $10 million in Concorde Agreement prize-money.
“The constructors’ title does mean a lot to me because it is a lot of money,” driver Jenson Button confirmed. I think we can do it, but we will need the perfect weekend.
“It is also nice to get one over on Ferrari. We want to finish in front of them.
“We are a competitive team. We cannot beat Red Bull but we can beat Ferrari, which has to be our aim.”
Subbed by AJN.
- McLaren: That was our best grand prix of the year to end a difficult and disappointing year
- Button and Perez save face for McLaren in Brazil at the end of a torrid year
- McLaren look to the skies to save them from the lowest of lows at season finale
- McLaren: To qualify 14th and 15th for the last grand prix of the year is very disappointing
- McLaren: You can take nothing for granted at Interlagos
- McLaren previews the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos
- Hulkenberg: I often spoke to Whitmarsh but it’s hard to know why there’s so little interest
- McLaren: An extremely solid platform to develop our 2013 car
- Hamilton: I feel numb, it is mixed emotions at the moment
- McLaren: We’re now extremely well set come rain or shine