German Grand Prix may not happen in 2013

15 November, 2012

Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB6 squeezes Fernando Alonso (ESP) Ferrari F10 towards the pit wall at the start of the race. Formula One World Championship, Rd 11, German Grand Prix, Race, Hockenheim, Germany, Sunday 25 July 2010.Nov.15 (GMM) It is possible that Germany may fall off the 2013 Formula One calendar altogether as Hockenheim organisers are unsure if they can step in to replace the beleaguered Nurburgring on the schedule.

This week, it has emerged that – by the circuit owners’ own admission – the financially-crippled Nurburgring will almost certainly not host the German Grand Prix as scheduled for mid 2013.

Hockenheim had been named as a possible alternative, and it was believed that talks between circuit officials and Bernie Ecclestone had been underway for some time.

But the city’s mayor Dieter Gummer told DPA news agency: “It is the case that we are in constant contact but it has never led to negotiations on an F1 event in Hockenheim in 2013.

“Before a grand prix in Germany goes we would in any case be prepared to talk, but in every case the priority is Nurburgring,” he added.

Gummer said that organising a 2013 race at Hockenheim would be “certainly problematic”, as preparations for a grand prix usually begin “at the completion of the previous event”.

Subbed by AJN.


Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone