Abu Dhabi Test Day 1: Toro Rosso report
7 November, 2012
Nov.7 (Toro Rosso) Along with five other teams, Scuderia Toro Rosso has stayed on in Abu Dhabi for the Young Driver Test. Today, Luiz Razia was at the wheel of the STR7, chassis No. 3, last raced in the Italian Grand Prix, back in September.
Luiz Razia: “I enjoyed my first experience working with Toro Rosso today, on a track I know well, having driven here in 2010 and ’11. In the morning, the team had various test items it wanted to work through and in the afternoon, we looked a bit more at establishing a base line on the car. As far as the tyres are concerned, I found it relatively straightforward as they seemed quite similar to those supplied by Pirelli in GP2. As for all the buttons on the steering wheel, I had some time before driving the car to get used to them, so I soon got the hang of it. Overall, it was a good day as the car ran troublefree and I was able to do a lot of laps.”
Laurent Mekies: “This was Luiz’s first day working with us and he acquitted himself well, quickly getting into a rhythm and running at a good pace. He appeared to be physically fit enough for the work, completing 67 laps with no problems. This meant we got plenty done, on a day when the track conditions were nice and stable throughout the session. In the morning we did some aero testing, switching to brake system evaluation in the afternoon.”
Wednesday, Johnny Cecotto Junior takes over at the wheel, before Razia returns to the cockpit for the final day on Thursday.
Subbed by AJN.
- Toro Rosso: We made a significant step forward understanding our car
- Toro Rosso: A very positive day because we completed a good amount of laps
- Toro Rosso: There is still a lot to do, but we have made some steps forward
- Toro Rosso hopes to make progress with long job list for Bahrain
- Tost: If everything works in Bahrain there is a real opportunity to catch up to Mercedes
- Vergne: We are facing major problems but we need to keep calm and not get stressed
- Toro Rosso: We worked on many things and made progress in several areas
- Toro Rosso: The team managed to get through a lot of work
- Toro Rosso: How we expect to get on at the tests is a complete mystery
- More Renault engine trouble for Toro Rosso during filming day at Misano