Abu Dhabi Test Day 1: Red Bull report
7 November, 2012
Nov.7 (Red Bull) With just a short respite after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Red Bull Racing was back at the Yas Marina Circuit today for the 2012 Young Driver Test. Red Bull Junior driver António Félix da Costa was at the wheel of the RB8 for the first day of this three-day test.
Running during daylight, rather than the day/night schedule of the grand prix, the team split the allotted time between mechanical work in the morning and aero-mapping during the afternoon. The full programme was completed, with Antonio driving 79 laps of the Yas Marina Circuit.
António said: “This was my first time driving an RB8 at a proper test, with proper tyres on a real circuit, and…wow! I was perhaps a little anxious beforehand, but ultimately the pedals and the steering wheel are in the usual places.
“There’s a lot to learn, particularly with the buttons on the steering wheel, and it took one or two runs to get completely comfortable with all of that – but I think we had a good day.”
Antonio will be back in the car Wednesday before handing over on Thursday to Formula Renault 3.5 series winner Robin Frijns.
Driver: António Félix da Costa
Car: Red Bull RB8
Best time: 1:42.717
Circuit length: 5.554km
Fastest lap: K. Magnussen (1:42.651)
Subbed by AJN.
- Footage of Grosjean losing his cool in Lotus garage
- Lotus: We’ve ended our pre-season test programme with a lot of unknowns
- Lotus: Certainly we are behind schedule
- Lotus: Unfortunately our new specification exhaust system failed
- Lotus: We’re still very early on in our understanding of this car
- Lotus: Unfortunately we had a number of gearbox related problems
- Lotus: We fell way short of what we want to achieve
- Lotus: Obviously that wasn’t the day we wanted to have
- Grosjean: I think it will be important to put some mileage on the car
- Lotus E22 makes public debut in Bahrain with Grosjean at the wheel