Yeongam Practice 2: Vettel tops as Red Bull takes control
12 October, 2012
Oct.12 (Apex) Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber dominated the top two slots on the timing screens at the end of the first day of free practice for the Korean Grand Prix at Yeongam, as Red Bull carried their devastating pace from Japan to the Korea International Circuit.
There was little to separate Japanese GP winner Vettel and Webber, with the German’s best time of 1 minute 38.832 seconds enough for top spot but only 0.032 better than the Australian. The pair also racked up a handy 66 laps between them, to end the day with the momentum very much on their side.
World championship leader Fernando Alonso was the best of the rest in the Ferrari, but ominously over a quarter second down on the pace setting duo, but notably the Spaniard was baulked during both his fast laps with super soft Pirelli tyres bolted on.
Jenson Button was third for McLaren, recovering from a subdued early morning session which teammate Lewis Hamilton had topped. But the latter was only good for the eighth best time in the afternoon stanza.
Mercedes showed the kind of pace which saw them mixing it with the top three teams, and as a result Michael Schumacher was fifth fastest and teammate Nico Rosberg seventh.
Nico Hulkenberg, who sat out the first session, was ninth best in the Force India with Kimi Raikkonen, who had never driven the circuit before the morning session, tenth fastest. The top ten were separated by a tad over a second.
Out of the top ten were both Saubers, who had showed so strongly less than a week earlier in Japan. Sergio Perez stopped out on track with no power after complaining shortly before about loss of KERS. With the C31 appearing to struggle for pace the Mexican was down in 15th with Suzuka hero Kamui Kobayashi 14th.
Williams driver Pastor Maldonado had a below par session, ending down in 18th while his teammate Bruno Senna appeared to find some reasonable pace and set the 12th best time. As it stands they don’t look likely to be challenging the top ten.
Subbed by AJN.
Korean Grand Prix Free Practice 2, Yeongam – Friday, 12 October 2012
|1||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:38.832||33|
|2||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull Racing-Renault||1:38.864||0.032||33|
|9||12||Nico Hulkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:39.739||0.907||33|
|13||11||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:40.112||1.280||34|
|24||22||Pedro de la Rosa||HRT-Cosworth||1:44.533||5.701||24|
- Boullier: I think Grosjean can be even better next year
- Red Bull questions tardy response to Webber fire
- Hamilton: Me and Fernando are of a higher calibre, we should be battling at the front
- Korean Grand Prix: Untouchable Vettel triumphs – fourth title now a mere formality
- Hulkenberg: I drove one of the best races in my career so far
- Why always Webber? His curse reaches new low in Korea
- Both Caterham and both Marussia drivers reprimanded
- McLaren: Sometimes it takes a difficult race to bring out the strengths of our people
- Lotus: A fantastic result and it tastes like a race win
- Pirelli come under fire from drivers after tyre incidents in Korea