Nationality played against Di Resta for McLaren seat?
1 October, 2012
Coulthard, the former long-time McLaren driver, believes his former team “looked at” Di Resta as a possible replacement for the departing Lewis Hamilton.
But even though McLaren made much of their all-British driver pairing of Hamilton alongside Jenson Button since 2010, Coulthard thinks di Resta’s nationality actually played against him.
“My feeling is that they [McLaren] had shaken the British tree as much as they could sponsor-wise and Perez, quite apart from his undoubted ability behind a wheel, offered something different in that respect,” he wrote in a column for the Telegraph.
Coulthard is probably referring to rumours that Sergio Perez – Hamilton’s actual 2013 successor – could eventually bring his backer Telmex and other Mexican pesos to McLaren to replace wavering title sponsor Vodafone.
McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh confirmed that di Resta was considered for the seat.
“I know Paul very well and the true answer is that I rate him but it would probably have been continuing a little bit too much with the British theme to have gone that route,” he said.
But what about Ferrari? Even though Felipe Massa seems set for another season in red, Coulthard thinks that di Resta is still a contender.
“Why not?” he said. “I’m biased but I feel that Paul is the obvious choice.”
Subbed by AJN.
- Perez in a very difficult position to secure F1 drive for 2014
- McLaren backed Magnussen could be set for Force India seat in 2014
- Hulkenberg on radar for McLaren, Lotus and Force India race seats
- Button expects McLaren to beat Force India
- Anthony Hamilton: I don’t mind lying to people who are lying to me
- Hamilton: When Ron Dennis told me I’d be much slower than Fernando, I thought – he’s wrong
- Magnussen: It’s a good year to enter F1, I have a lot to learn, but so will everyone else
- McLaren denies Dennis power struggle brewing after worst F1 season in decades
- Van der Garde candidate for Caterham and Force India in 2014
- Sutil manager says there are two options on the table for 2014