McLaren the team to beat at Monza as Red Bull and Ferrari chase
7 September, 2012
Sep.7 (GMM) Who is going to win Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix at the legendary Monza circuit. McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari?
“Well, for sure it’s not going to be easy,” said championship leader and Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso.
McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button have dominantly won the last two grands prix.
“It’s five days [since Spa] so I don’t think we will recover eight tenths by [a] magic button,” said Alonso.
Just a few days ago, the Spaniard said he feared McLaren more than Red Bull.
“If that’s what he said, I think that’s ok,” German Vettel smiled and shrugged at Monza, according to Germany’s Sport1.
“The top teams are very close together so it’s hard to say anything [about performance].”
Red Bull Driver manager Dr Helmut Marko is also keen to avoid Red Bull being written off.
“We are a winning team, we can win races. Why should it be otherwise here?” he is quoted by Kleine Zeitung newspaper at Monza.
Vettel told DPA news agency: “Honestly, I cannot say that I am the favourite, but before Spa the title was open and probably it will still be open until the last race in Brazil.”
Subbed by AJN.
- Only a red race suit will stop Vettel boos at Monza says Schumacher
- Red Bull baffled by Monza gearbox problems reveals Newey
- Alonso: We need to be lucky and we need to have some DNFs from Sebastian
- Hamilton: I need to win every race which is the tallest order ever but I can try
- Webber: Sebastian won the race and the atmosphere is not completely correct
- Vettel: The more booing we get the better we have done, it’s normal
- Alonso: Zero tension at Ferrari and we fight for the championship
- Ferrari: In the end we could not have done better than this
- Webber: Very happy to be on the podium here at Monza, a brilliant experience
- Red Bull: Very impressive how whole team contributed to fantastic result