Button not ready to help Hamilton in title bid
31 July, 2012
In Hungary, Felipe Massa – who is pushing to stay at Ferrari next year – vowed to help his teammate Fernando Alonso seal the drivers’ crown in 2012.
In fairness to Button, however, the situation at McLaren at the mid-point of the 2012 season is quite different.
While Alonso is leading the championship and is a massive 139 points ahead of Massa, Button has been a race winner in 2012 and is only 41 points behind Hamilton.
So Briton Button answered ‘no’ when asked if he will move over for Hamilton if he sees the sister McLaren in his mirrors.
“If I am leading a race, then I want to win that race,” he is quoted by British newspapers.
“I will not be asked to do anything but if there comes a time in this championship when I can’t win, then I will obviously help my teammate,” added Button.
Subbed by AJN.
- Hamilton: When Ron Dennis told me I’d be much slower than Fernando, I thought – he’s wrong
- Magnussen: It’s a good year to enter F1, I have a lot to learn, but so will everyone else
- McLaren denies Dennis power struggle brewing after worst F1 season in decades
- Magnussen expecting to learn from great teammate Button
- Whitmarsh still keen to sign Alonso but manager claims reports are fiction
- Hometown hero Button burns rubber down Frome main street
- Brawn to head up Honda F1 engine supply project…or return to Ferrari?
- Whitmarsh: Red Bull spend the most in Formula 1, everyone knows that they do
- Button: We are definitely title contenders next year, but It’s not going to be easy
- Button: McLaren not in permanent downward spiral