Lotus expected to shine at Sepang
22 March, 2012
Mar.22 (GMM) F1 experts have tipped Lotus to shine during the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend at Sepang.
The black and gold E20 car was a standout of the winter pre-season, but Kimi Raikkonen qualified poorly in Australia while Romain Grosjean was punted into early retirement by Pastor Maldonado.
Seeing the chequered flag first in Melbourne became the priviledge of one J. Button, but he said he is expecting a “strong fight” this weekend.
“Of course we’re not relaxing,” said Jenson.
“Both Red Bull drivers were very quick in the race (in Australia), and I think we can expect further strong challenges (in Malaysia) from Mercedes and Lotus,” he added .
Also anticipating a Malaysian push by Lotus is team ambassador Jean Alesi, the former Ferrari race winner.
“The car should suit Sepang well,” said the Frenchman.
“In testing in Jerez and Barcelona it was particularly good in the fast turns, which is what defines the Malaysia track.
“Lotus appear to be quicker than everyone except McLaren,” added Alesi.
He is worried, however, that the former Renault team might not be able to keep up its pace throughout 2012.
“Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari have much bigger budgets,” said Alesi.
“They have a brilliant team at Enstone but it is really tough to match the development pace of the biggest teams, and I think that will be Lotus’ challenge this year.”
Subbed by AJN.
- Lotus: We’ve finished a disappointing weekend with a disappointing race
- Lotus: It’s clear that we have work to do
- Grosjean: We are paying for the fact that we didn’t do much mileage in winter testing
- Renault: It’s completely unacceptable to be coming to the first race as unprepared as we are
- Lotus: We experienced quite a few issues
- Lotus promotes from within for new team boss
- Grosjean admits situation ahead of Melbourne is a little bit strange
- Lotus technical partnership with Altran
- 2013 Australian GP winners Lotus braced for tough start to new season
- Grosjean: We’re not as well prepared as last year, that is for sure!