Kobayashi fastest as first Barcelona F1 testing ends
24 February, 2012
Feb.24 (PVM) Kamui Kobayashi powered his Sauber C31 to the top of the timing screens this morning, on the final day (of four) of the first stanza of testing at Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona, and remained there for the rest of the day.
Kobayashi used a set of Pirelli soft tyres just before lunch to set a time of 1 minute 22.312 seconds, which made him the fastest man at the Spanish Grand Prix venue this week, although only by a mere 0.079 seconds! The Japanese driver also completed the most laps on the day, with 145 to his credit despite bringing about the second red flag with 15 minutes left in the day’s proceedings.
Second best on the day was Pastor Maldonado in the Williams FW34, who also set his best time in the morning, ended a quarter second down on Kobayashi’s best with 134 laps on his chart.
Paul di Resta brought out the first red flags of the day shortly before noon when he briefly lost control of the Force India VJM05 and got on the gravel at Campsa Corner. He recovered to compete 101 laps and set the third best time.
Next up on the timing screens, in fourth place, was Jenson Button who amassed 115 laps in a productive day for the Woking squad. Notably the 2009 world champion set his time on hard tyres during a morning run.
Ferrari and Red Bull were again somewhat subdued, or in F1 parlance: focusing on their own programme to the exclusion of everything else. And perhaps as a result Felipe Massa was fifth fastest with 103 laps notched up in the Ferrari F2012 and Mark Webber sixth on the timing sheets with 85 to his credit in the Red Bull RB8.
Next up, seventh fastest, was rookie Jean Eric Vergne in the Toro Rosso STR7 ahead of Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes W03 and slowest of all on the day Heikki Kovalainen in the Caterham CT01, who only did 70 laps due to a forced engine change.
A suspension problem prevented any more running In Barcelona for Timo Glock in last year’s Marussia MVR02. Also absent were HRT who did not turn up for the test and Lotus who packed up after their first day to sort out a chassis flaw.
The third and final episode of F1 pre-season testing is scheduled to start at the same venue – Circuit de Catalunya – on 1 March.
Barcelona Testing Day 4 Results – Friday, 24 February 2012
|3||Di Resta||Force India VJM05||1.23.119||+0.807||101|
|6||Webber||Red Bull RB8||1.23.774||+1.462||85|
|7||Vergne||Toro Rosso STR7||1.23.792||+1.480||92|
|8||Rosberg||Mercedes AMG W03||1.23.843||+1.531||139|
- Vergne and Kvyat to share Toro Rosso duties at Pirelli test in Bahrain
- Buemi on duty for Red Bull at Pirelli test in Bahrain
- Vettel on vacation and will skip Pirelli tyre test in Bahrain
- No Raikkonen or Alonso in Bahrain as Ferrari opt for De La Rosa and Bianchi
- Lotus requests 1 week delay of first 2014 Formula 1 test at Jerez
- McLaren and Force India opt out of Pirelli test in Bahrain next week
- One last outing in 2013 as F1 teams to test with Pirelli in Bahrain
- Malaysian youngster Jaafar tests Mercedes
- Moves afoot for December Pirelli tyre test with 2013 cars
- Kvyat to get Friday outings in Austin and Interlagos with Toro Rosso