Audi still not interested in F1 programme
24 May, 2011
May 24 (GMM) Audi motor racing chief Wolfgang Ullrich has reinforced the Volkswagen Group marque’s decision to stay away from Formula 1 despite the new engine rules earmarked for 2013.
As a debate rages about Formula 1′s engine rules to be implemented in two years, it had been hoped that the turbo 4-cylinder formula would entice new manufacturers – like Volkswagen/Audi – onto the grid.
But Ullrich told Car Magazine that Le Mans style endurance racing is the better bet for Audi development and image.
“There’s a very good reason why we are not in Formula 1,” he said. “There’s no relevance to the road.”
“At Le Mans, one of our cars will cover 325 miles more than an Formula 1 car will cover in an entire season, our average speed including pitstops will be 20mph higher than an Formula 1 car and we will use 42 per cent less fuel. You cannot argue with those figures,” he said.