Fernando Alonso celebrates his controversial German GP victory at Hockenheim
Jul.27 (GMM & YallaF1.com) As the Hockenheim team orders furore continues, Ferrari team president Luca di Montezemolo has cried “enough of this hypocrisy”.
Luca de Montezemolo
After the team’s controversial 1-2 finish at Hockenheim, the Ferrari president chose to express his satisfaction with the result, through the Scuderia’s web site. “I am very happy for all our fans who finally, yesterday, saw two Ferraris lead from start to finish as they dominated the race,” said di Montezemolo in Maranello, where he reviewed the season so far along with Stefano Domenicali.
“The result is down to the efforts of all our people, who never give up. Now we have to continue working like this, to improve the car so that is competitive at all the circuits we will encounter. Alonso and Massa also did very well, giving their all throughout the weekend. The polemics are of no interest to me. I simply reaffirm what I have always maintained, which is that our drivers are very well aware, and it is something they have to stick to, that if one races for Ferrari, then the interests of the team come before those of the individual,” maintained di Montezemolo who steered away from the team’s earlier denial that Massa was given a team order.
Fernando Alonso leads Felipe Massa at Hockenheim
“In any case, these things have happened since the days of Nuvolari and I experienced it myself when I was Sporting Director, in the days of Niki Lauda and not just then… Therefore enough of this hypocrisy, even if I can well believe that some people might well have liked to see our two drivers eliminate one another, but that is definitely not the case for me or indeed for our fans,” he concluded.
Leading figures of the top rival McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes teams have lashed out at the famous Italian marque after their victory at Sunday’s German grand prix.
“We all have to obey the rules,” said Mercedes GP chief executive Nick Fry.
Red Bull’s Christian Horner added: “It’s a great shame that the race was manipulated to give one driver a victory over the other.”
Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso after the Hickenheim race
And McLaren’s Martin Whitmarsh, also chairman of the F1 teams union FOTA, said: “We do desperately want to win but it’s about how you win.”
The Briton also said he would speak “privately” about the issue to Ferrari.
The FIA is yet to confirm reports that it will consider the Ferrari team order issue at its scheduled meeting on September 10.
International publications including Blick (Switzerland), Turun Sanomat (Finland), Autosprint (Italy), Bild (Germany) and Marca (Spain) believe it is possible the FIA will not schedule a special meeting to discuss Alonso’s Hockenheim victory.
Ferrari was fined $100,000 by the stewards at Hockenheim for breaching not only the team order rule 39.1, but also the general guideline about disrepute.
“The case will also be referred to the FIA World Motor Sport Council for further consideration,” said the stewards’ statement.
On the day of Friday free practice at Monza, the governing body will be meeting in Como, Italy.
Media sources say it is not likely that FIA president Jean Todt, who as Ferrari boss ordered Rubens Barrichello to “let Michael (Schumacher) pass for the championship” in Austria in 2002, will take part in the disciplinary proceedings.
An FIA spokesman said a date for the consideration of the Ferrari affair has not yet been set.