McLaren to debut new exhaust in Britain
23 June, 2010
Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren on Wednesday confirmed reports a Red Bull-style exhaust layout will debut on the MP4-25 at Silverstone.
Several teams are embarking upon a similar approach, with designers working to install low-mounted exhausts that allow air to flow more efficiently into the double diffuser.
The benefit, with also the fast-moving exhaust fumes channelled through the diffuser, is believed to be up to half a second per lap.
“We’ll be doing trials at an aerodynamic test before Silverstone and hope to have it working on the practice sessions and race it on the Sunday,” engineering director Paddy Lowe told reporters during a teleconference.
He admitted that the biggest challenge is equipping the suspension and bodywork to withstand being “blasted” by hot engine fumes, and rued that Ferrari has managed to have its version ready for this weekend’s Valencia race.
“That is a concern,” answered Lowe when told Ferrari’s step forward could be half a second per lap.
“We’ll have to see how they get on with it. It’s a shame that some others have been slightly quicker than we were getting it, but we are where we are,” he added.
- Magnussen expecting to learn from great teammate Button
- Whitmarsh still keen to sign Alonso but manager claims reports are fiction
- Hometown hero Button burns rubber down Frome main street
- Brawn to head up Honda F1 engine supply project…or return to Ferrari?
- Whitmarsh: Red Bull spend the most in Formula 1, everyone knows that they do
- Button: We are definitely title contenders next year, but It’s not going to be easy
- Button: McLaren not in permanent downward spiral
- McLaren doctor Aki Hintsa retires from F1
- McLaren: That was our best grand prix of the year to end a difficult and disappointing year
- Button and Perez save face for McLaren in Brazil at the end of a torrid year