McLaren to debut new exhaust in Britain
23 June, 2010
Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren on Wednesday confirmed reports a Red Bull-style exhaust layout will debut on the MP4-25 at Silverstone.
Several teams are embarking upon a similar approach, with designers working to install low-mounted exhausts that allow air to flow more efficiently into the double diffuser.
The benefit, with also the fast-moving exhaust fumes channelled through the diffuser, is believed to be up to half a second per lap.
“We’ll be doing trials at an aerodynamic test before Silverstone and hope to have it working on the practice sessions and race it on the Sunday,” engineering director Paddy Lowe told reporters during a teleconference.
He admitted that the biggest challenge is equipping the suspension and bodywork to withstand being “blasted” by hot engine fumes, and rued that Ferrari has managed to have its version ready for this weekend’s Valencia race.
“That is a concern,” answered Lowe when told Ferrari’s step forward could be half a second per lap.
“We’ll have to see how they get on with it. It’s a shame that some others have been slightly quicker than we were getting it, but we are where we are,” he added.
- 2014 F1 Preview: Rookie trio Magnussen, Ericsson and Kvyat join the elite
- Dennis: Hamilton could well be attracted back to us when we are competitive again
- Dennis: No title sponsor for Melbourne, but one expected at the next few races
- Dennis: In many ways there are similarities between Ayrton and Jenson
- Whitmarsh’s future with McLaren remains unclear
- Button wary of Red Bull and describes how Ricciardo overtook him
- McLaren: A difficult final day for Jenson and the team
- Magnussen says he is ready as can be for his grand prix debut
- McLaren: We’re not quite there yet, but we have more to come
- Boullier surprised by Renault’s problems