Vettel refuses to accept blame for collision
7 June, 2010
Jun.7 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel on Monday refused to accept the blame for his crash with Red Bull teammate Mark Webber during the recent Turkish grand prix.
Despite team bosses no longer pointing their fingers at Australian Webber in the wake of a clear-the-air meeting last Thursday, 22-year-old Vettel said he thinks he was in the right on lap 40.
“You do at the time what you think is right, and in that case you would do it again because you thought it was right,” he said in an interview with the BBC.
“I had already passed Mark and then tried to come slowly back to the right. At that time I was the leading car and then usually the leader dictates where to go. We made contact and that was the end of the race for me,” said Vettel, now fifth in the championship and 15 points behind title leader Webber.
After emerging from his stricken RB6 at Istanbul Park, Vettel wiggled his right index finger around his ear, suggesting he thought Webber had acted crazily.
But on Monday, he refused to confirm the intent. “I think it was pretty clear at the time. I don’t think it was a crazy sign. I think it’s very common. I think everyone understood,” he said.
Meanwhile Vettel has denied that he is the favoured driver in the Red Bull pen. He said to BBC, “What we have been discussing internally is neither driver is favoured in any way. We go out and try to find out who is the better one, like it should be.”
- Vettel admits that Red Bull go to Melbourne with the RB10 Plan-B car
- Renault: We still have a long-term agreement with Red Bull, there is no separation
- No fifth world title for Vettel in 2014 predicts Villeneuve
- Australian Grand Prix: Red Bull preview Melbourne
- 2014 F1 Preview: Vettel’s reign threatened by Formula 1 turbo revolution
- 2014 F1 Preview: Ricciardo ready to take the Bull by the horns
- Talk of disruption within Red Bull camp escalates amid ongoing crisis
- Marko: Our software guys now slave around the clock on 18 hour shifts
- Fans want to see Vettel lose claims Ecclestone
- Crisis struck Red Bull turn to junior team Toro Rosso for help