Ecclestone unhappy F1 tyres unresolved
3 June, 2010
Jun.3 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is not happy that the formula one circus departed Turkey last weekend without resolving the issue of tyre supply for 2011.
The sport touched down at Istanbul Park amid strong speculation that Pirelli had been selected and would be confirmed as F1′s new supplier by the time the event was over.
But according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, it was FOTA’s powerful teams McLaren, Ferrari and Renault who invited Michelin’s Nick Shorrock to make a presentation to all the teams on Sunday.
Indeed, Shorrock indicated to Auto Hebdo in an interview that Michelin’s proposal had not substantially changed.
“We realised that it could be helpful to come and explain in more detail to all the teams the detail of our proposal,” he said.
“The goal of the meeting was simply to go into more detail,” added Shorrock.
Williams’ Adam Parr emerged from the 90 minute meeting and said: “It is taking a bit longer than we would have liked but it should be done in the next few days.”
F1 chief executive Ecclestone is unhappy it is taking this long.
“Why keep talking about it; everything has been discussed,” said the 79-year-old Briton. “We should sign a contract now.”
It is believed Pirelli remains in pole position for the deal, given Michelin’s insistence that the rules be changed to allow the possibility of more than one tyre supplier entering the sport.
“This is more of a philosophical question for Michelin,” FOTA chairman and McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh said.
“They would be happy to be alone for five years, but on paper they need for there to be the chance of having a competitor.”