Barcelona Day 1: Williams review
7 May, 2010
May.7 (YF1) AT&T Williams review their opening day of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend at Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Sam Michael, Technical Director
Today we evaluated some new aero parts on Rubens’ car and some mechanical parts on both cars. All ran without issue and we will have some more new parts arriving tonight to test tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, Nico went off at Turn 9 this afternoon and we were unable to run his car for the remainder of the session. He’s ok and the car suffered minimal damage.
Runs P1: Run 1: New Prime (1 lap, install), Run 2: Used Prime (1 lap, aero evaluation), Run 3: Used Prime (7 laps, baseline set-up), Run 4: Used Prime (7 laps, mechanical set-up), Run 5: Used Prime (6 laps, race set-up)
Runs P2: Run 1: New Prime (5 laps, tyre evaluations), Run 2: Used Prime (3 laps, set-up test), Run 3: Used Prime (6 laps, set-up test), Run 4: New Option (5 laps, tyre evaluations), Run 5: Used Option (13 laps, race set-up)
We completed our Friday programme successfully spending the two sessions evaluating the items the team have brought here. Because of the way we run on Fridays, we don’t look competitive, but I feel that we might be a little bit stronger here. I will keep my feet on the ground though. The goal is to get through to Q3 tomorrow.
Runs P1: Run 1: New Prime (1 lap, install), Run 2: Used Prime (3 laps, starts), Run 3: Used Prime (7 laps, baseline set-up), Run 4: Used Prime (7 laps, aero set-up, Run 5: Used Prime (2 laps, race set-up)
Runs P2: Run 1: New Prime (4 laps, tyre evaluations), Run 2: Used Prime (3 laps, set-up test)
This morning’s session was fine and the car felt pretty good. We made some modifications for the second session but my accident halfway through meant we didn’t get much running in. I ran wide in the corner and made too much contact with the kerb causing the car to bottom out. It’s a shame because it obviously cost us a lot of important practice time. I’m still positive about the weekend though and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.
- Williams: A complicated and involved programme which we completed
- Chinese Grand Prix: Williams preview Shanghai
- First races have shown Williams weaknesses admits Bottas
- Williams: We carried out the test programme set down by Pirelli
- Williams: Results were very positive and we collected a lot of good data
- Williams: One thing we do need is a little bit more race pace
- Williams: The team did an excellent job throughout the whole of Qualifying
- Symonds: It’s costs that are going to kill Formula 1 and we need to face up to this
- Williams: We’re happy with how the drivers and team worked today
- Williams: We apologise, our fans expect us as a team to let our drivers race