Rosberg insists Merc mods good for him
5 May, 2010
May 5 (GMM) Nico Rosberg has hit back at suggestions that Mercedes’ heavily updated car for Barcelona could adversely affect his performance.
After teammate Michael Schumacher notably struggled at the wheel of the W01 during the first four races of his F1 comeback, the package has been significantly altered ahead of this weekend’s Spanish grand prix.
In particular, the longer wheelbase is touted to better suit the seven time world champion’s driving style, even though Rosberg – second in the world championship – was comfortable and competitive with the original specification.
Telegraph correspondent Tom Cary wrote last week that the changes could “upset Rosberg” and cost him “the chance to compete for the world title”.
But Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper quotes Rosberg as saying: “Why would the new car only be better for Michael?”
He denied that he enjoys a car with understeer and predicts that more front grip will “suit me as well”.
- 2014 F1 Preview: New engines, new rules and new sounds
- 2014 F1 Preview: Hamilton more fired up than ever
- Mercedes V6 turbo produces 580hp reveals Lauda
- Williams and Force India could win races says Mercedes boss
- Lauda is convinced that Red Bull will bounce back
- Lauda confirms no engine homologation delay for Renault
- Hamilton: My team is stronger than ever and there’s a lot more to come
- Mercedes: There’s still a lot to do before we get to Melbourne
- Rosberg worried about reliability
- Mercedes: After the delayed start it was a relatively trouble-free day