Rosberg insists Merc mods good for him
5 May, 2010
May 5 (GMM) Nico Rosberg has hit back at suggestions that Mercedes’ heavily updated car for Barcelona could adversely affect his performance.
After teammate Michael Schumacher notably struggled at the wheel of the W01 during the first four races of his F1 comeback, the package has been significantly altered ahead of this weekend’s Spanish grand prix.
In particular, the longer wheelbase is touted to better suit the seven time world champion’s driving style, even though Rosberg – second in the world championship – was comfortable and competitive with the original specification.
Telegraph correspondent Tom Cary wrote last week that the changes could “upset Rosberg” and cost him “the chance to compete for the world title”.
But Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper quotes Rosberg as saying: “Why would the new car only be better for Michael?”
He denied that he enjoys a car with understeer and predicts that more front grip will “suit me as well”.
- Mercedes new nose passes FIA crash test and may increase advantage
- Rosberg to clear air with Hamilton over on track limits before Chinese Grand Prix
- Lauda slams Montezemolo for Formula 1 taxi drivers jibe
- Marko: We’re amazed by aggressiveness that Mercedes used to argue against us
- Mercedes seeking big punishment for Red Bull
- Bell resigns as Mercedes technical director
- Mercedes W05 on par with Newey’s Red Bull RB10 believes Costa
- Wolff: Lewis and Nico can fight each other so long as there are no harakiri moves
- Tech Talk: Bahrain front wings and the never ending quest for more downforce
- Mercedes: We haven’t learnt anything in terms of improving the car