Rosberg insists Merc mods good for him
5 May, 2010
May 5 (GMM) Nico Rosberg has hit back at suggestions that Mercedes’ heavily updated car for Barcelona could adversely affect his performance.
After teammate Michael Schumacher notably struggled at the wheel of the W01 during the first four races of his F1 comeback, the package has been significantly altered ahead of this weekend’s Spanish grand prix.
In particular, the longer wheelbase is touted to better suit the seven time world champion’s driving style, even though Rosberg – second in the world championship – was comfortable and competitive with the original specification.
Telegraph correspondent Tom Cary wrote last week that the changes could “upset Rosberg” and cost him “the chance to compete for the world title”.
But Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper quotes Rosberg as saying: “Why would the new car only be better for Michael?”
He denied that he enjoys a car with understeer and predicts that more front grip will “suit me as well”.
- Lauda does not want Mercedes to win all races in 2014
- Red Bull war of words with Mercedes shifts into high gear
- Can anyone stop Hamilton and Mercedes running away with the title this season?
- Lauda rewarded Hamilton with lift home on private jet after China triumph
- McLaren feeling effects of Whitmarsh absence says Lauda
- Lauda predicts focused Hamilton on course for second F1 title
- Hamilton: I just can’t believe how amazing the car is and how hard everyone has worked
- Mercedes: The result looks easier than it actually was
- Lauda rejects reports that Mercedes has 80 horsepower advantage
- Rosberg wary of Red Bull tactic to play down title chances